Tuesday, February 12, 2008

OGEd - Open Game Editor (aka Ogre/OGE Editor) open sourced!

OGEd is now open-source :)

OGEd stands for Open Game Editor but at this stage it is more an Ogre Resource Editor and will evolve into an OGE Editor before becoming a true versatile Open Game Editor :D

You can get it on the OGE sourceforge as code or binary.

Of course there are still lots to do and any help would be great.
If you are interested you can look on the oge wiki for more information like todo list, planned features, how to compile, etc.
http://www.opengameengine.org/wiki

Originally I took inspiration from the Ogre project name "Material Editor" and 5 files that allowed Ogre script edition were really interesting.
So I proposed to the Ogre owner -Sinbad- that we exchange some code so that both could benefit - I thought it was a win-win proposal. I was wrong.

His answer disappointed me. As I want to be able to distribute OGEd under our OGE unlimited license -which I can't if I must keep Ogre license and copyright- I was obliged to remove ANY code that could be interpreted as being originally from the Material Editor :(

This attitude is bit to near to the "SCO versus Linux" for my taste. This is not how I idealise the open source movement. For me if someone is willing to exchange worthwhile code I am more than happy to give mine. Saving time is the most important thing in live! I am not immortal! In my opinion copyrights and licenses are primarily a way to protect my work from people patenting it and then trying to stop me using my code or even making me pay for the work I did! I use them to protect me against crooks and felons.


This lead me to read some legal texts about using existing code without infringing copyright & license. And I found this legal review from the ReactOS project: http://www.reactos.org/en/dev_legalreview.html (ReactOS is a nice project btw I hope it will reach the stage where VC runs on it).

This point is fairly obvious but IMO hard to achieve as C++ programmers are increasingly using the same coding style:

Developers are encouraged to NOT attempt to copy the coding style of non-free code. While coding style may not covered by copyright, a similar or identical coding style to a piece of non-free code casts suspicion on the new code.


This experience made me realise that the "Tainted Developers" theory is nearly unavoidable and I was not able to explain my position to Sinbad. So to avoid again a "SCO versus linux" issue I will avoid reading ANY copyrighted code from now on.

"Tainted Developers". There is a legal theory that is occasionally cited in the context of producing a work-alike implementation of a published copyrighted work. There is concern that, if the creators of the new work have seen the original work, they will be unable to create a similar work without infringing the copyright of the original. It is the position of the Project that this theory is invalid for a number of reasons. As a general rule, there is no reason that a developer who has seen non-free code cannot write logically similar code for ReactOS.

What a lose of time and effort - I hate to reinvent the wheel.

2 comments:

Amir H. Fassihi said...

First of all congratulations for the open source release of the editor... I am really eager to check it out..

Regarding Steve it is very strange and I didn't expect him to behave this way, he is usually a big supporter of the open source movement.

Steven 'lazalong' Gay said...

Thanks.

I will actively develop OGEd in the coming days so expect instability.
Also the binary will only be updated when significant progress was made.

About Sinbad. Don't get me wrong he is supportive of the open source movement. It just depend how you interpret open source. Check the number of open licenses that exist: each have some tweaks that has different legal consequences.

This episode made me realise he is just like any other open source guy trying to live from his work. And not the idealised hero I had in mind until now.

The fault is mine: I am too much an utopian and have too much fate in other individual. Although I am realist enough that I asked him permission before... and I was right to do it.